Thursday 28 February 2013

They all have faces. They all have names. They all have stories.

                                     Kasozi                                                       Benjamin


Mumbere
 
 
Joshua
 

Alex
 

 

 

There are estimated to be thousands of street boys on the streets in Kampala. You can spot them when you walk through the areas of the city where they stay. Their clothes are dirty and most often torn. They rarely have shoes and so they walk barefoot on the hard hot ground that doubles as sidewalk beside the roads. If they are not there you can often see them sleeping in the shade of whatever they can find, stretched out on their burlap sack. This sack is their livelihood and they guard it well. They wander the streets every day looking for scrap to fill the sacks with. At the end of the day they take it to be weighed. They may get 5,000 Ugandan Shillings, about the equivalent of 2 Canadian dollars, for a full bag. Often they work in groups. Kids as young as 6 wander free without parents or a home. Kampala is by my standard a filthy city, but it would be so much worse without the street kids. They pick through the piles of garbage at the side of the road for the things that can be salvaged. They glean the cast off bottles, bit of metal, and parts of electronics. They wade into the open flowing sewer systems to fish out what they can after a rain. The grossness of the open sewers does not seem to bother them very much, after all it is where they bath anyways...
 

This kind of life may sound awful, and the reality is that it is, but still most the boys prefer it to the life they had before making the streets their home. So often at the street program that I work at I wish that I did not have the language barrier when talking to the boys. Their English is all quite broken, enough to make a connection, but a very surface on. Slowly I have started to recognize that faces of the 70 some boys that come to program. Slowly I have begun to memorize their names. But I want to hear their stories.
 
 
I hear bits and pieces from the Uncles and Aunties who work at the program. I have read the written records of the boys that we have at our homes. Many of these street boys are from broken homes where poverty and abuse was rampant. Often step-parents have no love for children of another partner. They beat them for small misbehaviours like not bring water home from the well fast enough. Actual parents are often equally abusive. As a sign or rebellion and desperation the kids run away and head for the city where they disappear into the 1.7 million people that make up Kampala.
 
 
Poverty, lack of education, faulty family structures, abuse. These are all issues surrounding the problem of street kids in Uganda. Sometimes at the street program I look out over the boys and feel like I am looking out over a sea of injustice. Their faces are visible in the waters, and all round them swell the issues that have led to their life on the streets. Deep, dark, swirling issues that are churning, and pulling, and crashing against the shore. These boys are stuck in the middle. And I am stuck on the shore looking out at them wishing I had the power to say "peace be still." There is no simple fix.
 

I came across this article he other day as I was trying to better educate myself. It is a bit old now, written in 2005, but still relevant. It is very long, but a somewhat interesting read. The point of the article is to look at the government’s response to street kids. Kamparengisa is still the way street boys are dealt with and already I have heard horror stories about this place. It gives a pretty good background on Uganda and the issue of street kids.

 

I will end with a quote from a book I have been reading called "Good News about Injustice" by Gary A. Haugen.

"In a matter of second we can go from knowing next to nothing about children in India to knowing that fifteen million of them are enslaved in short, brutal, dead-end lived of bonded servitude [or in my case the thousands of street kids in Kampala]. Now what? In our hearts we feel like a deer frozen by headlights. The very information that should move us is so overwhelming that is actually paralyzes. It is like a big meal that is supposed to provide fuel for our body but actually makes us feel like lying down and taking a nap. Instead of energizing us for action, the overwhelming injustice in our world actually makes us feel numb. We sense our hearts melting and our feet sinking into concrete. This is when we need to listen to the voice of Jesus, the Jesus who encourages the paralytic to "take heart" (Matthew 9:22). When their spirits were crippled by the sheer weight of the world's injustice Jesus tells his disciples, "take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33)."
 
 
I have been struggling with this feeling of numbness the last few weeks. The injustice here can be so overwhelming. And I feel powerless. I really do. But then I realize my hope is not based on myself, but in something greater. There is one who can say to the waves of injustice "peace by still." And he is the one that has called me, has called us, to take a stand against the injustice that is around us and to hope.
 

I guess for me now that means knowing the faces and the names of the street boys here. It means trying to learn their stories and to show them love. And for now, that is enough.


 

                                                                                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment