Friday 1 February 2013

Reminders


“Mind the Gap.”  The signs are in the tubes and painted on the concrete beside the tracks. An automated voice repeats the warning with every stop. Gaps are serious business – at least London seems to think so.
I was contemplating this phrase during my 20 hour layover in London since I heard is too much as I traveled on the tubes about the city. I believe it is actually a rather important one for the traveler, and especially this one. When you travel it is inevitable you will encounter gaps – gaps in communication, gaps in cultural norms, gaps in your ability to understand and adapt, gaps in what you think is normal or even right. These gaps are differences and a person needs to be mindful of them or they will trip you up.

Thank you for the wisdom London. I have determined I will indeed “Mind the Gap.”


2 comments:

  1. My, you're a decent writer. Combine that with your photography and you're on top of the game. I very much look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In agreement with miss greentigress :)

    ReplyDelete