Wednesday 20 February 2013

....the least of these....

I am struggling quite a bit with knowing how to respond to the poverty that I see around me here in Kampala. The issues surrounding the poverty here are so very complex - corruption of power, unhealthy family patterns, apathy, addictions, exploitation, laziness, lack of education, and the list goes on.... but the issue remains there is need all around me.  What am I to do?

I have a hard time passing beggars on the road, especially the children. Giving money really solves nothing I am told because it gets used for the wrong things. Even the kids work for someone who ends up taking the money they make anyway. But yet they have a need. They are grubby and look hot and hungry.

The verses from Mathew 25 play over in my head sometimes. "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink.... whatever you did for one of the least of these you did for me."

So... I decided I would take a few of these things then I walk in the city and give them to the kids. It is not much, and it fixes nothing. But at least I am taking some sort of action instead of just walking by.

No comments:

Post a Comment